British Airways Plc, BA
British Airways welcomes interline colleagues travelling on our flights. Here are some tips to help to make your journey with us pleasant and enjoyable.
The information below was last updated on 21Oct14.
Flight listing policy and procedures
Listing is required for all flights.
Passengers without a listing will be refused travel.
Very Important Note : Please note that BA will not accept coupons for different airport pairs. The airport pair on your coupon must match the flight on which you wish to travel.
1. For travel on flights operated by BA, BA CityFlyer, OpenSkies and the BA Franchisees (Sun-Air and Comair), listings must be made via https://idtravel.ba.com
Our listing site is not currently able to process tickets that feature other airlines and routes that are not specific to BA.
Please be sure to complete the Flight Choices section on the web-site: this gives our check-in system information to help us allocate seats, for example, whether you are prepared to split across cabins or across flights if you are travelling with other people on the same ticket type.
Using the web-site (amended 17May11):
If you have any problems using the site, please check that your eticket has been correctly issued. If you are sure your eticket is correct, and are still having problems, please advise your Staff Travel office.
Visas and Passports and API
Please remember that for international travel, each passenger must have a valid passport, and must have relevant visas for the destination, and for scheduled points en route, in case off-loading becomes necessary.
Also, some countries require Advance Passenger Information (API), and BA requires that this must be provided before check-in, using the Manage My Booking section of ba.com.
USA: (Secure Flight data item added
Please note that with immediate effect, our listing website will collect the following data items for all travel to or from the USA before the listing is created:
Gender, First name (as on passport), Last name (as on passport), Date of birth.
This information is sent to the USA authority 72 hours before departure, or at the time of listing if that is within 72 hours.
In addition to API, the USA requires all Visa Waiver passengers to have completed the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) application, ideally at least 72 hours before departure. You do not need to enter travel details or address in the USA, and if approved, the authorisation is valid for two years, so it is worth applying well in advance if you think you have any intention of travelling to the USA in the coming two years. If you do not have the authorisation, you will not be able to travel on BA to the USA. The link to the web-site, which does show who is included in the Visa Waiver programme, is:
The standby listing web-site at https://idtravel.ba.com will not permit standby listings on embargoed flights. Alternatively, please check with your own staff travel office for information on any staff travel embargoes on BA flights.
The following information is correct as at the date shown at the top of this page:
There is a permanent embargo for all personal travel on all flights between LCY and JFK. This is a business class service only, starting 29SEP09. (This embargo also applies to duty travel.)
During HAJJ, both duty and personal travel is embargoed.
Iberia's LHR-MAD flights operate from BA's Terminal 5. These have BA prime flight numbers (BA510-BA524), but they are IB flights. They cannot be used in accordance with your agreement with BA. For any travel on these flights use the corresponding IB:IB flight numbers (3000 series).
|Flight Number||Applicable Sector||Dates (inclusive)||Days of week|
The following routes are excluded from our agreement. The operating companies are shown.
|Flight Numbers (inclusive)||Operating Company|
|1500 TO 1999||American Airlines|
|2046 TO 2060||Vueling|
|2240 TO 2249||Air Baltic|
|2370 TO 2539||American Airlines|
|3320 TO 3329||Japan Airlines|
|3430 TO 3449||Japan Airlines|
|4000 TO 4129||Loganair for Flybe|
|4130 TO 4149||Cathay Pacific|
|4150 TO 4199||Bangkok Airways|
|4200 TO 4299||Iberia|
|4300 TO 4309||Lan Airlines|
|4310 TO 4449||American Airlines|
|4480 TO 4499||American Airlines|
|4550 TO 4579||Cathay Pacific|
|4580 TO 4599||Amercian Airlines|
|4600 TO 4649||JAL|
|4650 TO 5799||American Airlines|
|5900 TO 5979||Aer Lingus|
|6000 TO 6099||Finnair|
|6166 TO 6199||Qatar Airways|
|6450 TO 6499||WestJet|
|6500 TO 6999||American Airlines|
|7000 TO 7015||Qatar Airways|
|7040 TO 7049||Meridiana Fly|
|7050 TO 7299||Iberia|
|7400 TO 7499||QANTAS|
|7500 TO 7699||Air Berlin|
|7700 TO 7949||American Airlines|
|7950 TO 7999||Bangkok Airways|
|8040 TO 8199||Vueling|
|8400 TO 8449||American Airlines|
|8650 TO 8699||American Airlines|
|8770 TO 8819||S7 Airlines|
|8830 TO 8849||Vueling|
For details, please see:
Please note that once you have made a listing on BA (see Flight Listing section above), you can go to ba.com and check the baggage allowance for your specific flight. It is essential to check that information, because that is the allowance which will apply, regardless of what may be on your ticket.
No single bag or piece of baggage will be accepted if it weighs more than 23 kg/51 lbs, regardless of the allowance applicable to the flight on which you are travelling. If you have an item which exceeds that weight, you must re-pack into separate bags. If this results in you exceeding the baggage allowance, you must pay any applicable excess baggage charges.
Duty travel checked baggage:
Your allowance will be in accordance with the type of ticket you are using. JIDxxS1 will mean you are eligible to the business class allowance. YIDxxS1 will mean you are eligible to the economy class allowance.
One medium bag, maximum dimensions 56 x 45x 25 cm (22 x 17.5 x 9.85 ins), maximum weight 23 kg/51 lbs (but you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker yourself).
One laptop bag OR one briefcase OR one handbag
When there are two or more interline employees travelling on the same flight, the time of check-in at the station where you are boarding your flight will determine the onload/offload and the cabin upgrade/downgrade order.
Check-in Personal Travel
All airports with self-service check-in kiosks:
- Please present yourself at a self-service check-in kiosk at least 60 minutes before your scheduled flight departure.
- The kiosk will tell you what to do next, so please read the screen carefully.
- The kiosk will print a boarding pass, which will show your booking reference: this is key information, especially if you are not allocated a seat number by the kiosk.
- If the kiosk prints a boarding card with a seat number, this means you have been accepted for the flight; please go immediately to the departures lounge and the gate.
- If the kiosk prints a boarding card without a seat number, the kiosk will tell you what to do next.
Additional information about Heathrow Terminal 5:
- You must be through the ticket presentation point by 35 minutes before scheduled flight departure time. This point is immediately before Security.
- You should only go to the Staff Travel area located
behind Zone A in T5 if:
- You are travelling on a standby ticket
- AND You have checked in and have a standby boarding pass
- AND You have had any hold bags tagged
- AND You have had passport & visa checked where necessary
- AND It is 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time of your flight
- AND You are the party leader (when travelling in a group
- You should only go to the Staff Travel area located behind Zone A in T5 if:
Once there, information about acceptance onto your flight will be displayed on the Staff Travel Screens.
Additional information about Terminal 3:
Staff passengers travelling to destinations from Terminal 3 will need to check-in at a check-in kiosk on arrival at the airport. There will be no staff travel office in Terminal 3.
If a seat is allocated at the time of check-in, those passengers with hold baggage should proceed to a Fast Bag Drop desk to have their bags tagged. Passengers without bags should proceed to security.
Passengers who are not allocated seats at the time of check-in should retain their bags and go the to Flight Management Desk.
Passengers who are not accepted for their flight and who wish to standby for a later flight on the same day will be automatically transferred to the next flight. Alternatively, passengers will be able to re-list themselves at one of the Employee Self Service (ESS) kiosks available by the Customer Service Desk adjacent to the terminal entrance door.
Additional information about Terminal 1
Check-in at a kiosk in Zone B.
If you have a seat allocated at check-in:
Go to bag drop for baggage tags
If you do not have any baggage go straight to the security check.
If you do not have a seat allocated at check-in:
Go with your bags to the Flight Management Desk (FMD) B1-B2
If you do not get on the flight:
You can use an ESS kiosk located on the far right hand position of the landside Customer Service and Reservations desk in Zone B to relist yourself.
At London Gatwick North Terminal
All staff travel colleagues who are not assigned a seat when checking in at a self-service kiosk will remain on standby landside until the flight has closed. Staff travel colleagues will then be on-loaded via a dedicated Flight Management Desk in Zone A
All other airports:
If there is a desk signposted for standby travel, go to that desk. If there is no signposted standby desk, go to the World Traveller or Euro Traveller desk.
Duty travel check-in:
Where kiosks don't exist check in at the counter for the class to which you are eligible, which will depend on whether you have JIDxxS1 - meaning business class, or YIDxxS1 - meaning economy.
To allow for the added security procedures now in place, please ensure that you have completed check-in formalities by 60 minutes before scheduled departure time
Through check-in is not available to standby (or "space available") passengers. When planning your trip, please ensure you leave yourself enough time to land and check-in again at any intermediate point.
BA has a dress code which is applied to rebate passengers. Please ensure that your attire is appropriate for the cabin of eligibility.
Seat allocation will depend on how you present yourself. If your attire is inappropriate for the cabin of eligibility, you will be seated in a lower cabin, or may be refused travel.
If there is a need on the day to upgrade on departure to a cabin higher than your cabin of eligibility, those who do not comply with the dress code applicable to the available cabin will not be considered for an upgrade.
Club World and Club Europe cabins
- Employees should dress in a smart casual style which may include smart, clean jeans and training shoes.
- In any cabin, for comfort on longhaul overnight flights, employees may change into a plain-coloured track (running) suit after take off.
- Any items of sports or beach wear or any other extremes of leisure wear are unacceptable in any cabin.
- Smart national dress or company uniform is acceptable in all cabins.
Special service requests
- It is not possible to pre-book special meals for rebate passengers. Therefore you and/or your eligible nominees who for any reason require a special diet, must provide your own food, in sufficient quantities to last for the duration of the flight.
- Seat requests are not permitted on Staff Travel. If the flight is open, the check-in agent may ask if you want an aisle or a window seat, but this depends on availability.
- Even if you are assigned a specific seat at check-in, this may be changed to accommodate commercial requirements.
- Please note that staff passengers must comply with requests from BA check-in staff, cabin crew, and flight crew, and must change seats if asked.
- Use of a safety seat for an infant is not permitted on board for rebate passengers.
- Children under 16 years cannot travel on a rebate ticket unless accompanied by an adult travelling on the same type of rebate ticket.
No special service requirement is permitted when travelling on standby travel.
Amenity bags will not be given to staff who travel in premium cabins. If offered, we ask that you politely decline.
Please do not ask any BA staff for an upgrade. If on the day of travel seats are not available in your cabin of eligibility, you will automatically be considered for an upgrade to the next higher cabin depending on commercial and operational needs, and subject to complying with the applicable dress code for that higher cabin.
Useful extra information
UK law prohibits acceptance of any person in the flight deck of a BA aircraft other than a BA employee. Similar rules apply to our affiliate airlines.
BA strongly recommends all employees and their eligible nominees to have comprehensive travel insurance. We cannot offer any free-of-charge special arrangements if you sustain an injury or contract an illness during your stay away from home, or if you lose money or documents or personal possessions etc.
BA expects employees to purchase all tickets they or their eligible nominees are likely to require for the entire journey before departure from base, as local stations are not resourced to issue rebate tickets.
- BA has various aircraft configurations which apply on different routes.
- All aircraft have an economy (or coach) cabin, which is called EuroTraveller within Europe, and World Traveller on longhaul routes.
- UK domestic flights are a one-class all economy service.
- Aircraft operating international flights also have a business class cabin, called Club Europe within Europe, and Club World on longhaul routes.
- Aircraft operating international longhaul flights can have one of several different configurations, with the most common being a four-cabin configuration, with a First class cabin, and an extra cabin called World Traveller Plus, between World Traveller and Club World.
Duty free shopping
BA's selection of duty-free items offered for sale in-flight, under its Shopping the World brand name, can be viewed at www.highlifeshop.com - so you can browse potential purchases before you fly. BA's High Life Shop promises top brands from around the world, great value, a one-year quality guarantee, and full return and refund service.
This includes Concorde memorabilia.